Thursday, July 07, 2005

Deflecting Arrows

So it has been declared by Scipio over at the Absorbascon to be "Anti-Arrow Rampage Day". And he made fun of Roy. And that's just not cool with me.

It made me sit and think, just why do I love the Arrow family so much? I really hate getting into arguments as to whether a certain character or writer suck/rock/should be skullfucked (unless it's Devin Grayson because I have a very good case against her). I'm not good at defending my positions. I like stuff because...I like it.

But Roy is my man, despite his many and various bad costumes, inexplicably developed heroin problem, bad parenting skills, and frequently kidnapped child, and you don't randomly dis him and get away with it. Despite there being a lot to dis. Nightwing has done many inexplicably stupid things over the past few years, and nobody goes around accusing him of being a crappy character. They just blame "That Woman". So why don't the archers get the same courtesy?

Is it wrong for me to like a group of non-powered heroes with sunnier dispositions than the Bat family? I love Ollie. I think he is really cool, despite cheating on Black Canary, and considering I am somewhat of a man-hater, that's saying a lot. Am I that far off in thinking being able to pull a 103 lb bowstring and nock 29 arrows a minute is really freaking awesome? Think about it. That's one arrow every other second--the equivalent of lifting 103 pounds every other second. Count it out. It's amazing.

Finally, lest we forget, I remind you all that WAP is the sound of a left cross.



And what does Zatanna do?

She watches.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Ron said...

Zatanna actually walked around with that wacky hairclip? As soon as I realized that Ollie was punching out Vibe, I figured it was probably Gypsy.

10:47 AM, July 08, 2005  
Blogger Amy said...

Yeah, Zatanna used to have that goofy snake thing on her head all the time, around her induction to the Justice League. (Most recently, she looked like that in the flashback scenes in Identity Crisis.) Lord knows why. (To make things worse, the large red earrings also had Z's on them.)

Then again, magicians have never been known for their fashion sense.

10:55 AM, July 08, 2005  
Blogger Scipio said...

I didn't think I could hate Green Arrow any more than I do.

UNTIL YOU SHOWED ME THAT HE HIT MY MAN, VIBE.

Oliver Queen must DIE!

Um... again.

2:41 PM, July 08, 2005  
Anonymous badficwriter said...

You know he'd only come back....

Except that, according to the slashers, Ollie only hits fellow heroes that he...er...wants to get to know better. Biblically.

(Just think about all the times he's hit Hal Jordan.)

Y'know, the truth is that manhaters think that there's something evil about *every* guy. Men with easily identifiable jerk flaws are...easier to take, somehow. You KNOW Ollie's an unreliable chauvenist, you KNOW Roy's a dog. Bird's fly, fish gotta swim, men are evil, et cetera, et cetera.

Arrow-fans accept their heroes' flaws and look forward to watching them do good in spite of them. Besides, who wants to live in gloom and doom all the time?

5:57 PM, July 08, 2005  
Anonymous serena kitt said...

Nightwing has done many inexplicably stupid things over the past few years, and nobody goes around accusing him of being a crappy character. They just blame "That Woman". So why don't the archers get the same courtesy?

hey, as a frequent defender of the girl in question, i can say that's a fair criticism. people don't like how Roy's story is going, i think it's way more fair to blame the writer than say the character is just too lame to fix his life. good point. and i <3 Ollie so bad.

7:42 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Devon said...

Zatanna's 70's hairclip and bell-bottom sleeves are courtesy of George Perez, comics' worst designer of superhero costumes.

6:10 PM, July 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home