Wednesday, January 25, 2006

City of Glass; PMS; robots.

Carpal tunnel is a bitch. I might say that along with Andrew Jackson, homophobia, PMS, trolls, and lactose, it is part of my Gallery of Rogues. I'm not sure who or what is in Amy's rogues gallery, but I can guess that Ron Marz probably has a strong presence. He and his army of androbots.

I took the day off today because I'm being mind controlled by the PMSculator and I don't want to accidentally decapitate any of my classmates. So what do I do? I blog.

The two of us are both taking Comics and Animation in America this semester (AMS 270). This is the first time I have ever had a class with Amy, and she has managed to make me giggle uncontrollably while covering the Holocaust (via Maus, of course) by taking notes in cartoon form and drawing herself punching Scott McCloud (right cross: KRAK! My God, Joe, the teeth!). What the unassuming internet does not know is that she is actually quite a good cartoonist. She stopped doing a lot of art after she quit her online drawing forum, even though she has *two* tablets, but I think I have finally convinced her to be my collaborator on a comics project. Here's to hoping.

I should go to the library and watch some Korean television drama for my Asian Film class, but I'd rather sit here and start work on a script to give her. I haven't done any creative projects of substance other than some poems since I finished One Dozen Black Roses, my last screenplay.

Anyway, the actually comics-related portion of this post is that I just finished reading City of Glass, which is a comics adaptation by Paul Karasik and David Mazzucchelli (the latter did Batman: Year One) of a novel by Paul Auster. It was assigned for our comics class, and it is terrific. It is a detective story, but the detective is fake, and it reminds me more of Jorge Luis Borges's "Death and the Compass" (aka Muerte y la Brujula) than any crime story I've ever read. It is about the power of lies and words to shape reality, and if you don't like postmodern stuff where the author shows up in the story, stay away. However, if you are somewhat depressed by the state of your superhero pull list (like me) and looking for a great high-concept graphic novel, I highly recommend it. I am sure Amy will not be drawing cartoons of herself punching the author of this work.

7 Comments:

Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

City Of Glass absolutely rocked my world at a time when I definitely needed something other than super heroes. It's really, really, really, really good and I don't think enough people know that.

4:13 PM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

This sounds right up my alley. Commonly stocked at the LCS or more likely an Amazon buy?

9:59 PM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger Franny said...

Try Amazon, that's where I got it.

6:07 PM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger Ken S. said...

Hooray for City of Glass! This is one amazing work, even by post-modern standards. It inspired my to read the book, and them more Paul Auster stuff.

Anyway, I miss Mazzucchelli. The guy was really good. Seek out his few issues of Rubber Blanket if you want someting totally different but still interesting and very-well-drawn.

11:13 AM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Ken S. said...

Oh, by the way:

Who teaches your comics class? I used to correspond with a few of the comics academia people and I can't remeber the guy who ended up at MSU, but I'd probably recall his name. I wonder if it's the same guy and he's still there.

He brought Art Spiegelman to MSU in the early 90's and it was cool to hear him talk about Maus.

11:33 AM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Franny said...

My class is taught by Jim Keller, who is new here. Are you thinking of Gary Hoppenstand? He is indeed still at MSU.

12:39 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Ken S. said...

Doesn't ring a bell, but the good news is that there are more than a handful comics academics these days!

1:39 PM, January 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home