Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The obligatory Batman Begins post.

As a (supposedly) grown-up comic fan, you tell yourself, "I will not freak out and collect everything with my favorite character on it. I will not blindly adore everything in a book (or movie, or what have you) just because some bits in it were very, very cool. I will exercise some discretion in my purchases. I will see the places where a story could be better, even if I loved it overall. I will critique as an act of love.

"But above all: I will not become a squealing fanboy."

A movie like Batman Begins makes it damn hard to abide by that standard.

Really. I could go on about how Ra's should never, ever rhyme with Häagen-Dazs or Katie Holmes's complete inability TO STOP TWITCHING LIKE A FREAKING BOBBLEHEAD EVERY TIME SHE SPEAKS.

Okay, maybe the Katie Holmes thing really did irritate me.

But Batman Begins is a solid film all around. It's been a long time since we've had a decent Batman movie, so I think that explains the kids who are going to howl with glee on forums as if it's the Second Coming. But I really think it can stand up to the hype.

Cillian Murphy as Jonathan Crane? Disturbingly, unnervingly pretty.

Gary Oldman is James Gordon. Oh God, it makes me yearn for a Year One movie -- with just Gordon's scenes.

The Ra's al Ghul we see here felt right to me. While he wasn't the environmentalist he's been written as, he seemed motivated by the same goals as his comic book version -- whatever means necessary for The Greater Good.

The Batumbler really makes me want to see a Dark Knight Returns adaptation. Come on, Miller! You've got the cinema bug now! Starring Mickey Rourke, too -- DKR Batman is Hartigan's brain in Marv's body wrapped up in a Batsuit anyway. And you know you can imagine Rourke saying, "rubber bullets... honest."

Ok, maybe I am freaking out like a fangirl here. I can tell, I'm abusing italics. That's never a good sign.

I've heard interview rumbles about sequels -- specifically, R-rated sequels. This makes my toes curl with glee. The Joker? There's a man who deserves an R-rated Batman movie, I tell you what.

Post-Franny edit: Ok, I admit it. I know I lose butch points or something, but the thing choked me up in some bits. But come on -- if geeks are allowed to get teary for the end of Wrath of Khan, you're allowed to snuffle a bit over poor, wounded Bruce and how perfect it is when Gordon comforts him OH GOD

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Oh sweet mother of all that's holy, did I write that?

...

Sweet mother of all that's holy, I DID write that.

I will now go hide in shame. And edit before anyone else notices.

11:31 AM, June 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home