Monday, June 20, 2005

Green is the new black, or: Why Geoff Johns is one of my favorite people ever

For those of you out there that don't pay attention to comic sales numbers, you may have missed something that makes me smile a great deal.

DC outsold Marvel for the month of May, both in market share numbers and the number one single issue.

Why you should care: this hasn't happened to DC in about a half decade.

So yeah, I'm excited. But that's not the real reason why I'm smiling.

The number one selling single for May?

Green Lantern #1.

Green Lantern: Rebirth #6 is number three.

Apparently giving one of DC's most infamously rabid set of fans exactly what they want is also highly profitable.

Who'd've thunk it?

Although I'm tempted to, I don't think you can put this surge in sales squarely on Hal Jordan's shoulders -- although perhaps Geoff Johns deserves a raise, especially given how well the minis spinning out of Identity Crisis are doing.

Villains United, OMAC Project and Rann-Thanagar War also make the top ten, in that order. Day of Vengeance doesn't show quite so well at #22, but I think DoV #3 is the best of the bunch so far -- don't count that mini out just yet.

And we'll have to see how fans react to the new Green Lantern series (especially how they handle Johns eventually leaving the book) before anyone can declare a comeback.

But the numbers for Green Lantern make it damn difficult to not smile, nod sagely, and say: If you rebuild it, they will come.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rather like being 'infamously rabid'. Sorta cool. I've always compared visiting the GL boards to Beirut. I wish I was old enough to be a member of H.E.A.T.

The problem is..have we gotten addicted to the controversy? I mean, Hal punching out Batman? Some have accused Geoff of using his contentious fanbase to act as free advertising and hype with all their (okay, our) hysteria. Do we need it to sell comics these days?

Oh, and I use 'crack' in the 'I NEED IT SO BAD' and 'Didn't our parents have good drugs in those days?' sense...

2:32 AM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Amy said...

I considered myself an unofficial member of HEAT -- I certainly ranted, loudly and at great length, during the same period that they were around -- I just never discovered their Web site until it had ceased to update.

It kind of makes me want to find the issue of Wizard where they bought a half-page ad to demand the return of the Corps.

My sense of crack is about that feeling -- it's related to the reaction of "Oh my GOD, MY BRAIN! OW!" but only in the sense of "OH GOD! ...This is why I fucking love comic books!"

And I have no problems admitting that punching out Batman is an easy way to get me to buy your comic. I've got no problems letting something like that translate into sales -- hell, if they think it's profitable, maybe they'll do it again.

10:23 AM, June 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home