Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Love comes in four colors. (And yes, I'm still bitter over Sue Dibny.)

Another day of work is nearly over
You must have seen the whole thing on TV
Seventeen more city blocks and I can almost smell you
Waiting at the windowsill for me

It's our forty-first anniversary

But we don't look a day over twenty-three
Not in this life
Not in this universe
We were still in high school when I met you
If you believe the continuity

I rescued you from robots
And untied you from the tracks

And you pretended not to know that it was me
We didn't even kiss
Until issue #26
This world still feels like 1963

I love this life
I love this universe

And you'll keep my identity a secret
And you will know the touch beneath my glove

I may go out every night and risk my life for strangers
But you're the only girl I'll ever love

Gwen Stacy isn't dead, she's only sleeping
And Elektra isn't evil or insane

Those bastards at the Pentagon can't really kill Sue Dibny
No more than they could kill off Lois Lane


And I swear to God there'll be hell to pay
If anybody tries to take you away

Forget this life
Forget this universe
You're everything I need

You are my life
You are my universe


They'll have to go through me



Lyrics from "Four Color Love Story," by The Metasciences.

Happy Valentine's Day, folks.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now why'd ya have to make me cry?

Kris

10:53 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger kalinara said...

Aww. That was really sweet. Amazing how some things really seem timeless in the end. :-)

2:13 AM, February 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy that sweet little song, but that manga-esque pic of Ralph and Sue -- I'm getting man-emotions.

Poor Sue.

12:32 AM, February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made my day.
Thanks.

9:39 PM, February 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've loved this song for a long time, and this was just a perfect post. Thanks for this.

What I want from comics: more love, more funny, more happy.

11:01 AM, February 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What I want from comics: more love, more funny, more happy."

Man, truer words were never spoke.. :)

12:45 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

Came in wayyy late on this thread, but the lyrics and illustrations chosen were very touching.

Beautiful job.

5:12 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger AbaDhi said...

I am 3 years to late, but man, this made me teary eyed...I want a pretty bird too...

7:37 PM, October 05, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologize for posting more than 4 years after this went up but I am totally crying right now. Thanks so much for Apollo and Midnighter. I was grooving on the lyrics, loving the visuals absolutely but then I saw them and started to cry. Thanks, from a random gay comic nerd, 4 years too late.

2:11 PM, May 14, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost FIVE years too late, but yes, that song is officially the first song to ever bring tears to my eyes in my entire life. Maybe it was because I had just reread Identity Crisis. Maybe it's because it just hit me how ridiculously happy Clark and Lois's marriage is, and how less iconic (but no less awesome) characters than them don't get their immunity to getting shafted for the sake of sales. Maybe it's because I've been watching Linkara's reviews and One More Day suddenly popped into my head with a vengeance and I realized that now I cannot imagine anyone but Peter Parker as the singer of this song. But whatever the reason, it's poignant, gorgeous, bittersweet, and leaves me horribly unsatisfied and miserable.

11:48 PM, January 18, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home