Thursday, August 11, 2005

There's a reason why Braniac is truly terrifying...

...and it's not just because he comes with 10 clicks of pulse-waving evil.

Braniac ate my hard drive. There's no saving it. Dr. Mid-Nite did all he could, but I'm going to have to buy a replacement. I can only hope Babs fares better in next week's Birds of Prey.

This doesn't mean I'm giving up on my Weeklong Thesis of Slash. It's just going to be a hell of a whole lot less illustrated. (It also means no more Homoerotica Fridays, at least for another week or two.)

Posting will be light on my end for the next few days as I shift from our summer apartment to MSU's dorms.

But, as promised, I will post my epic parody of Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams' run on Green Lantern/Green Arrow and the back stories of The Flash, commonly known as the Hard Traveling Heroes era. It's one of my all-time favorite storylines. Neal Adams' pencils are a joy to look at. His Dinah Lance is pretty and feminine in a way that modern "pin-up" pencilers like Terry Dodson and J. Scott Campbell can't even touch. The story telling easily guides you along the page. The anatomy is gorgeous... and I've never seen anyone draw a better angry face.

Denny O'Neil's writing, on the other hand, alternates between the idealistic:

There's a fine country out there someplace! Let's go find it!

to the romantic:

...A modern Robin Hood, a green-clad warrior with a laugh like the roar of a mountain river and arms like steel cables...

to melodramatic crack:

Some hideous moral cancer is rotting our very souls!

to misplaced social awareness:

My ward, Speedy, is a junkie!

to, well... um, he meant well:

THIS BLACK MAN LETS IT ALL HANG OUT!

The story arc also included Hal Jordan accidentally getting high on a bad batch of canned mushrooms, which is hilarious.

It's iconic, it's melodramatic, it totally deserves to be made fun of. Coming soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Devon Sanders said...

THIS BLACK MAN LETS T ALL HANG OUT!

Thank you, my dearest. I have found my new signature.

12:06 AM, August 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home